Staying Safe in LA County During a Wildfire
Wildfires are a natural part of life in Southern California. Wildfires are difficult to control, often fueled by dry vegetation and hot, dry wind. Because fire season is now year-round, it is important that everyone stay vigilant about their fire safety, especially those living in wildland area communities.
Ways to prepare for a wildfire:
- Protect yourself using the LA County Fire Department’s Ready! Set! Go! Personal Wildfire Action Plan.
- Create defensible space and harden your home against the possibility of flying embers. For information on annual brush clearance and requirements, visit fire.lacounty.gov/fire-hazard-reduction-programs.
- Prepare your family and home in case of evacuation.
- Keep a working fire extinguisher on hand in an easily accessible location and train your family on how to use it.
- Install smoke alarms on each level of your home, and be sure to check them regularly.
- LA County Fire Department
- LA County Department of Public Works
- California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection (CAL FIRE)
- Home safety tips: smoke alarms, fire extinguisher classification, burn prevention, etc.